Historic Lancaster Masonic Temple
The Lancaster Masonic Temple is a registered historic property located within the Lancaster Historic District, which in turn is on the National Register of Historic Places. The original building was constructed in 1838 as the Methodist Episcopal Church. By the turn of the century, Lancaster's Methodists had outgrown the building and constructed a new building at the top of Wheeling Hill. In 1907 the old property was sold to the Masonic lodge. After a disastrous fire in December of 1944 destroyed the original building, an exact replica was built. With a few minor differences - such as fireproof steel and poured concrete construction instead of wood - the present building was completed in 1953 as a faithful reproduction of the original both inside and outside. Learn more about our history here.